Historical facts

Villa Fradama is part of a complex called San Michele fortress, located a few kilometers outside Siracusa, in the beautiful countryside of Santa Teresa Longarini and it was built during the Norman occupancy of Sicily by the Anzalono de Anzalone family in 1296. After a few successions, the fortress was acquired by the Platamone family who owned it long after 1664.

The fortress is composed by a fortified manor farm that could resist Muslim attacks and by various other buildings used from the beginning as warehouses and stalls. The main building and the small Church were completed in 1662 and they were used frequently as shelters by the farmers who took care of the feud wineries.

The De Leva family bought the fortress after various happenings and widened the central building giving it its present appearance. It is a two storey rectangular building which starts three meters under the main plan of the land, providing the villa with a huge vault, and it is surrounded by what once was a ditch and is now a flourishing rose garden. There’s a bridge that gives access to the main entrance and, in the past, it most certainly was a drawbridge.

The fortress is surrounded by a farmed land rich in olive groves, orange and lemon trees and it overlooks both the seaside and Mount Etna, seen afar from the fortified turret that, in the past, was always in visual contact with Torre Tonda and Torre Milocca, two others fortified fortress of the region.

In the XIXth century, the fortress was acquired by the Grande family from Avola and then to the Sinatra-Grande family who is taking care of its land and its maintenance since then.

On September the 8th in 1943, under the shade of a centennial olive tree on the villa property, here was signed the armistice of Cassibile, between Italy and the United States, the first formal act that put an end to the II World War in Italy. The table on which the papers were signed is kept inside the villa as the sheet signed by General Castellano (at present under restauration).